- What are the pay and conditions for the job?
- Pay rates in the industry are very poor.
is money owed to you by your employer for work done in the past which has not yet been paid.
- I'm still owed 3 months back pay for the overtime I did before Christmas.
- The company cannot afford to give you the back pay it owes you.
A 'pay cut'
is a reduction in the amount of pay you are given.
- We are asking you all to accept a pay cut of 10% to keep the company going.
- He has the stark choice of accepting a pay cut or losing his job.
A 'pay rise'
is an increase in pay.
- We are looking for a pay rise in line with inflation.
- I'm going to ask my boss for a pay rise.
A 'pay rate'
is the amount per hour (or some other period) that you pay.
- The pay rate is $12 an hour.
- The industry cannot attract good quality workers because of the low pay rates.
is the amount earned after deductions (usually for social security and pensions and perhaps for tax.)
- The gross pay is $12 an hour but net pay is only $9.50 an hour.
- He said he is only earning $5 an hour but that is his net pay, not his gross.
means that men and women get the same pay for doing the same job.
- The women workers are asking for equal pay with the men.
- In this country, if you don't give the women equal pay, you could go to jail.
An 'itemized pay statement'
contains a detailed breakdown of the pay you have earned and the deductions taken from it.
- The bank want me to give them my itemized pay statements for the last six months.
- The law states that employees must receive itemized pay statements.
is where the amount you are paid depends on the quality/quantity of your work.
- Since we introduced performance-related pay, production has doubled.
- They may need the incentive of performance-related pay.
A 'pay scale'
is a range of different pay rates which people will receive depending on various factors (e.g. their grade in the company, their qualifications, their years in the company.)
- We have six grades on our pay scale. You will start on the bottom one.
- Perhaps we need to change our pay scale to take account of the loyalty people have shown us?